Superfood Maple Granola
Try making this delicious wheat free granola, great pre or post workout for slow release energy, packed with superfoods.
Ingredients (quantities depend on your preferences)
160g mildly salted butter
3/4 cup of maple syrup (or honey/agave)
sprinkle of sea salt flakes
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
Nut free version
Whole rolled jumbo oat flakes (at least 2-4 cups unprocessed oats)
Any of the following : Dried cranberries/raisins/dehydrated apple/ banana chips/dried mango/apricot/pineapple/goji berries
Chopped pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds (put in a clear bag, cover with a dishcloth, bash them with a hammer to chop)
If you want to add nuts:
Mixed roughly chopped nuts (Pecans/Brazil/Macadamia/sliced Almonds)
1. Heat over to 160 degrees celsius
2 Melt butter gently, add ground cinnamon, ground cloves, maple syrup, sprinkle of salt and vanilla essence
3. Let that simmer and infuse on a very low heat for a few min so you do not burn the butter at all, the smell will be irresistibly caramel.
4. Pour warm mixture over your jumbo oat flakes (not processed oats)- coat all the oats in your butter mixture well (use your hands to rub it in). Pack it on a flat, lined tray and put in the middle of the oven to toast gently until crisp. A low heat for a longer period is better.
5. Remove when your oats is golden brown – and cool
6 Add your remaining ingredients (the fruit and seeds and/or nuts)
7. Add another sprinkle of dry cinnamon and toss well.
8. Let it dry and become room temperature, label and store in air tight jars or containers.
– straight up with hot/cold milk and slices of banana
– with yoghurt and berries, drizzled with honey
– with poached apples and pears and cinnamon (a favourite for packed school lunch in our house)
– with pureed apples and blueberries – a true superfood
Food made with love